No Patriots game, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to watch football. There's plenty of teams to root against!
Here's some more food for the weekend courtesy my dad over at stevesacooking.com
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches For a crowd
This is an alternative way of making the sandwiches one or two at a time. From Amreica’s test kitchen.
Makes 8 sandwiches
You’ll need two rimmed baking sheets for this recipe, or see the step by step "Plan B" (below).
· 2 2/3cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
· 1 1/3cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
· 16slices hearty white sandwich bread
· 8tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
· 1. PREHEAT BAKING SHEETS Adjust oven racks to middle and lower-middle positions. Place 1 baking sheet on each rack and heat oven to 450 degrees.
· 2. ASSEMBLE SANDWICHES Combine cheeses in bowl. Brush one side of each slice of bread with melted butter. Flip 8 slices over, top with ½ cup cheese mixture, and compact cheese lightly with hand. Cover with remaining bread slices, buttered side up, and press down gently.
· 3. BAKE SANDWICHES Remove hot baking sheets from oven and place on cooling rack. Arrange sandwiches on 1 sheet. Return to middle rack of oven, and carefully place second sheet over sandwiches, rim side up. Bake sandwiches until golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove top baking sheet and transfer sheet with sandwiches to cooling rack. Serve.
It's a snap to make one or two grilled cheese sandwiches in a skillet, but what if you have a hungry crowd to feed? Ensuring even results while juggling multiple skillets is challenging. We devised a better method.
1. Place a preheated baking sheet on a cooling rack and arrange the assembled sandwiches on the sheet.
2. Put the baking sheet with the sandwiches in the oven, and place a second hot baking sheet, rim side up, on top.
If you only have 1 baking sheet, place it on the middle rack and follow the recipe up to step 3. Place the sandwiches on the heated sheet and bake for 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the tray to a cooling rack, carefully flip the sandwiches with a spatula, and return to the oven for another 3 to 4 minutes, until crisp and golden.