Tim Tebow caused quite a stir in the national news when he signed on to become the New England Patriots third string quarterback.

That signature was really the most notable thing he's done with the Patriots organization thus far. The former college football star turned glorified NFL scrub has not made many gains in his bid to make the Pats. Tebow got long looks in both the first and second preseason games and failed miserably. After going 1/7 for -1 yards and an interception against the Bucs, Tebow saw no playing time against the Lions.

Many have speculated all along whether the high-profile player could be cut at the end of the month. It seems there's a very real possibility he could.

Mike Reiss, ESPNBoston:
Bill Belichick said Thursday that he has about 80 percent of the Patriots’ final 53-man roster solidified, and it seems fair to say that quarterback Tim Tebow is part of the uncertain remaining 20 percent. Assuming Tebow makes it through Tuesday’s cut-down to 75 players (I think he will) he will be playing for a job on Thursday night against the Giants. The fourth preseason game is usually a dud, but given the lightning rod that is Tebow, that storyline would add an element of intrigue unmatched in past preseason finales.

Tebow has a longstanding relationship with Bill Belichick, and obviously ties to offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels (the man who drafted Tebow in Denver). After the Jets released the quarterback this spring, it is likely that the two men at the top of the Patriots wanted to give him a final chance. The investment just hasn't worked out thus far.

As Reiss says, this fourth preseason game against the Giants will most definitely be interesting.

Michael Saver 8/26/2013 09:43:00 AM Edit

« Prev Post Next Post »


    Powered by Blogger.