Amendola signed a two-year, $12 million deal during the legal tampering period and officially signed the deal yesterday.
He will be remembered as one of the most clutch playoff performers in Patriots history. Some of his highlights include:
1. Catching a pass from Julian Edelman in the 2014 divisional round against the Ravens
2. Touchdown catch in Super Bowl XLIX to bring the Patriots to within three points
3. Eight catches, a touchdown and the two point conversion that tied Super Bowl LI
4. Eleven catches in the 2017 divisional round against the Titans
5. The final two touchdowns in the AFC Championship Game against the Jaguars, including a 3rd & 18 conversion
A number of factors led to Amendola's departure - Julian Edelman and Malcolm Mitchell will return from season-ending injuries next season being one of the biggest reasons. Amendola also became even more of a trusted target for Tom Brady in Edelman's absence, raising his value. He also took pay cuts for three straight offseasons to return to New England, so it's no surprise he wanted to cash in while he could.